Saturday, 6 April 2013

Little by little

Well, hello there, friends. Welcome to the weekend! As I type, I'm bathed in warm sunshine coming through the window. It's been a bonafide spring day here at last. I'm still feeling really washed out, unfortunately, but I did manage a nice walk earlier... I'm just paying for it now by feeling rough!

So, I'm trying not to feel too sorry for myself and to concentrate on getting better. Small steps, people, small steps!

The last couple of days have had some minor ups and downs, all magnified by the fact I've barely left the house, no doubt!

As you well know, food is always a plus for me. Thursday night dinner was pan-fried haddock (fried in coconut oil and sprinkled with ground almonds) with roasted sweet potato discs and steamed purple sprouting broccoli and samphire, with a dash of lemon. Deliciously fresh and vibrant and made me feel clean and healthy.

Another early night was followed by getting back to my usual early start on Friday. Hmm, feeling a little better, but still pretty weak. I decided the best thing to do was get up, have a hearty frittata with smoked salmon, an apple, a pot of tea, and see how things went.

Breakfast and a shower did wonders, but I knew venturing to the office was a step too far, so decided to work from home so I could take it easy. The inbox wasn't as scary as I'd imagined, and I managed to get some bits done. It was quite good to get back to some sort of normality, actually. Normality including the whole remote access system going down for two hours! It was okay, though, I had a meeting scheduled on the phone anyway, then broke for lunch.
Something I prepared the night before... return of the mac-kerel salad! Where have you been all my week? Who's that you got with ya? Samphire and Kalamata olives? Heck yeah! Also featuring baby leaves, red cabbage, carrot, celery, parsley, red pepper, beetroot, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

And some blueberries. The Boy bought me some pretty tulips to cheer me up :)

I then ventured out for a little walk. Nothing too crazy, but it felt soooo gooood to be out in the fresh air! I took it really easy and wrapped up warm. This view may look a bit grey to you, but to me it may as well have been a tropical island! Spot the sun in the top right corner!
I managed to make it through a day's work, and then The Boy dropped me to the shops when he got back to get a gift for a special birthday girl we know. Retail therapy and a walk all in one day?! After all that, I had to ask Andy to take over dinner duty while I recovered!
This was a lovely quick and simple supper - grilled pork chops, steamed carrots and cabbage and nuked sweet potato. Done and dusted in under fifteen minutes.

Then we watched a bit of Engrenages (Spiral), a French detective series not for the faint of heart or stomach. I love it!
Today started very promisingly, with sunshine streaming through the window. Yay! I felt washed out but not too bad. Ready for the first meal of the day, as always.
I just had to take a picture of this cute 'freckled' egg.

And it's huge, sunny yolk.

It's destiny? To make me a yummy smoked salmon omelette served with roasted vegetables and blueberries.

While Andy headed off for a 12 mile run (!), I hung out with the iPad and teapot, did some budgeting, had a long soak in the bath, felt human again, then headed off to the butcher.

This week's haul: 500g lambs mince, three huge chicken fillets, 12 eggs, lambs liver, bacon, ham, two rib eye steaks.

Then a strange little chain of events took place. I went to get my lunch ingredients out and noticed some mould in the salad crisper in the fridge. MOULD. I grabbed it out to wash it and then realised, my fridge was in need of a good clean generally. Nothing for it, everything came out and I was on my knees scrubbing that dirty biatch until she gleamed. I also threw out some condiments that had no doubt become science projects. It felt good.
My jeans, however, felt wet, as I'd managed to tip a bit of water on the floor. So, I whipped them off and added them to my next washing batch. Put the machine on and went upstairs to hang up the first load to dry. Then... 'Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!'. I'd left my beloved Fitbit in my jeans' pocket. GAH!!!!!!!!
I ran downstairs, turned off the machine, drained it, and grabbed out my poor, soaked little buddy. He was still smiling (they do actually smile at you!). Not quite believing my luck, I dried him off and left him in the sun for a while. He seems to be okay, but is currently nestled in some rice just in case... Phew!
So, clean fridge and clean Fitbit!
Finally, I got around to lunch! Prawn salad with apple and almonds. Super yummy. I had the other half of the apple on the side with some cinnamon.

Then I donned my sunnies and went for a walk. There's still a nip in the air, but the sun is warm and soothing. It was lovely, but has now taken it out of me for the foreseeable future. I haven't turned the corner yet. And I need to rest up - we have a big shopping trip to Brighton planned tomorrow! I need me some new make-up and clothes asap!
Do you like clothes shopping?
I'm certainly not a Saturday afternoon browser. I only go if I need something - a few trips a year at most, but then I go to town!


  1. Who taught you to put the Samphire and Kalamata olives in with the salad like that?

    1. You know that made me literally LOL.

      Why, Yeezy, taught me, actually.